In observing our 35th Anniversary during 2015, we’ve been taking a look back at some of our history. We’ll be sharing some of these historical tidbits with you over the course of this year. Here’s our second installment:
- In 1990, First Nations is one of the founding members of the nonprofit member organization known as Native Americans in Philanthropy.
- In 1993, First Nations began its national grantmaking program, and awarded its first grant in 1994 (The first grant was to support the InterTribal Bison Cooperative).
- In 1994, First Nations launched its Indian Giver newsletter.
- In 1995, First Nations teamed with U.S. Sen. Ben Nighthorse Campbell and tribal colleges to counter the false perception that casino wealth has transformed every tribe and brought an end to poverty in Indian Country.
- In 1997, First Nations established First Peoples Worldwide, which is now an independent nonprofit organization, based on the recognition that Indigenous people from outside the U.S. share many similar issues.